LUZBY BERNAL

viernes, 25 de noviembre de 2011

Creative Guest: Watermark Tee by Sweet Verbana



Creative Guest: Watermark Tee by Sweet Verbana

Hello U-Create readers! I am so excited to be guest posting here today. It just so happens to be my first guest post and I'm still a little shocked that it's here at Ucreate, one of my favorite blogs!

A little bit about me..

I'm from a little town called Keller, Texas.
I'm a junior at Texas A&M University (whoop!).
I'm working on my education degree and expect to be an elementary school teacher in just two short years.
When I'm not busy studying for classes, I love to sew. In fact, I'm all about DIY fashion.
I just started blogging in May and have already met all kinds of wonderful women, I hope you'll stop by and say hi too!




Here's what we're making today:

What I love about this project is that it's completely customizable. I used favorite quotes to decorate my shirt but you could also use song lyrics, bible verses, favorite book excerpts, etc. You can also choose whatever color you like. I think it would be a very kid-friendly project as well. There are so many possibilities!

Materials:

Elmer's Blue Gel Glue (it must be the blue gel, white won't work)

Fabric Dye (RIT is my tried and true brand)

A white cotton Tee, Tank, Dress etc.

Tutorial:

If you're unfamiliar with Batiking, it's a method of dyeing fabric in which you create a design with a dye- resist. When you dye your garment in cold water, all will be colored except where you've placed your dye resist. In traditional batiking, you would use wax as a resist. I tried this out and found it to be messy and difficult to control. Using store bought glue is much more convenient and very easy to control.

Step 1: Prepare
Wet your tee with cool water and place a water resistant board between the layers of fabric. I used the lid of a bin.

Step 2: Design
I'm not much of an artist, so what worked best for me was writing favorite quotes right across the front of the shirt.

This quote was found via Pinterest
Source
You could also try drawing a simple design like my very amateur sailboat:
Let dry completely. This will take several hours.

Step 3: Dye 
Your dye bath should be prepared using cool water. Experiment with different amounts of dye until you find the right concentration. Keep in mind that the color that comes out of the dye bath will be a couple of shades darker than the dry, finished garment.
When you get the color you want, lay your tee flat to dry.

Step 4: Wash
When your tee is dry (to let the dye set) soak it in cool, soapy water for about 15 minutes. This soak washes the extra glue out. Throw it in the washer and dry as you would normally.


Step 5: Wear and Enjoy!

I'd love it if you'd stop by over at Sweet Verbena and check out my other DIY fashion tutorials.
Thank you so much for having me Kari!

No hay comentarios: